Gender and racial stereotypes are pervasive in our society, particularly in sports and popular culture.
1. Watch the video below without sound.
2. Discuss the purpose of the video, racial and gender stereotypes that are present, and where you encounter racial and gender stereotypes in your life.
3. Keep track of your thinking
"Be the Change"
Choose one image and create a positive advertisement or magazine cover by overlaying text using the program Phixr. If you do not know how to use Phixr, see the instructions below.
1) Choose the image you would like. Right click and save the image to the desktop/photos (take a screenshot if you are using the iPad)
2) Go to http://www.phixr.com/ and press “get started” (you do NOT need to sign up)
3) Check that you agree and click “let me in”
4) Click on “select photos” and then find your image that you had saved to the desktop
5) On the toolbar on the left, you will see the letter “A”…click on this to add text
6) Choose a font and change the color if you would like to do so
7) Type your phrase/words into the text box available
8) You can put your phrase/words into two or three (or more) lines. You can also use the box to the top left to stretch or shrink your words. If you do this, then you’ll need to re-stretch it after executing the text.
9) Click “execute” at the bottom of the pop-up box where you typed your text in
10) If you stretched or shrunk the text-editing box, then you’ll need to drag the edges of the dotted box, but if you didn’t, then you can ignore this step.
11) Click on the drop down menu at the bottom of the screen that says “file format” and choose “jpeg”
12) Email your file to me at email@example.com
- With a partner, select and read one of the articles from the Anti-Racist Pedagogy magazine we created on Flipboard.
- Discuss each of the following questions and take notes on the big ideas you discuss:
- What questions does this raise for you about teaching and learning?
- How does this impact your work?
- How does this impact your interactions with kids and families?
- Work with your partner to create a Powtoon animation that presents the big ideas for your colleagues to consider. http://www.powtoon.com
1. With a partner select and read a read aloud book from the table.
2. As you read take note of the theme and central idea(s) present in the text. Answer the following questions:
· What are the themes present in the story?
· What ideas does the author present about race or class (especially during that particular period in history)?
· What parts of the book best summarize the author’s message or the text’s theme in regard to race or socio-economic class?
3. With your partner select at least two of your favorite quotes from the text that represent ideas on race and/or class. These should be quotes that stood out to you and are pivotal in understanding and summarizing the theme/central idea.
Question: How can a Graffiti Wall on a micro-blogging multimedia site like Tumblr create a creative community space for students to map and view each other’s thinking about reading?